The Helicoflex® seal represents the leading edge in seal technology for high performance sealing applications. Today’s extreme sealing requirements have rendered traditional seals & gaskets obsolete. If you can’t afford the lost time associated with leaks, put your trust in the leader: Helicoflex®.
The sealing principle of the Helicoflex® family of seals is based upon the plastic deformation of a jacket of greater ductility than the flange materials.
This occurs between the sealing face of a flange and an elastic core composed of a close-wound helical spring.
The spring is selected to have a specific compression resistance. During compression, the resulting specific pressure forces the jacket to yield and fill the flange imperfections while ensuring positive contact with the flange sealing faces.
Each coil of the helical spring acts independently and allows the seal to conform to surface irregularities on the flange surface. This combination of elasticity and plasticity makes the Helicoflex seal the best overall performing seal in the industry.
Specifications and Advantages
- Diameters from 0.250 inches (6.3 mm) to over 300 inches (7.6 m)
- Cross sections from 0.063 inches (1.6 mm) to over 0.625 inches (15.9 mm)
- Cryogenic to 1800°F (982°C)
- Ultra High Vacuum to 50,000 PSI (100,000 PSI under special conditions)
- Excellent springback: the spring energized Helicoflex is capable of compensating for flange distortions due to temperature and pressure cycling.
- Adaptable to a majority of standard flanges: ANSI, ISO, KF, ASA
- Suited to different types of assemblies
- metal/metal with groove
- flat flanges with limiter/retainer
- 3 face contact
- Extended shelf life and resistance to corrosion and radiation
- The Helicoflex’s resilient spring compensates for relaxation ensuring positive seal contact.